This position produces machined parts by programming, setting up, and operating a computer numerical control (CNC) machine; maintaining quality and safety standards; keeping records; maintaining equipment and supplies.
Essential Functions and Key Responsibilities:
- Performs frequent and complex CNC programming, setup and operation of CNC turning, milling and EDM Wire machines to produce quality parts based on provided specifications.
- Close tolerance machining and inspection.
- Insures quality completion of all CNC jobs to meet scheduled dates.
- Communicates with engineers and planners daily to assure accurate routers and schedules.
- Provides support in absence of CNC manager to insure successful completion of all jobs.
- Proactively identifies and implements ways to reduce set up times and identify potential cost reductions in regards to product design.
- Solves tooling issues by identifying productivity of tooling, evaluating tooling performance, and evaluating new tooling requirements.
- Trains less experienced Machinists at the direction of CNC manager supervisor
- Recommends program changes and submits program change requests to programmers/engineers.
- Assists in the maintenance of a detailed program database including revision dates, program revision and or improved method record.
- Interfaces and supports all internal departments to maintain common goals.
- Designs, fabricates and maintains tooling.
- Support and assist with machine preventative maintenance program as required.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as assigned.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of math operations such as trigonometry and geometry.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be computer proficient with the use of specialty software.
- Proficient in Creo CAD/CAM programming software.
- Requires the demonstrated ability to read complex blueprints in order to determine the best method for manufacturing various components as well as the ability to use, operate, and apply a range of precision inspection instruments and devices.
- Ability to read and interpret critical dimensions on engineering blueprints.
- Understanding of calibration cycles of test tools.
- Knowledge of precision measuring tools. Able to choose tooling for all types of geometries and applications. Knowledge in tooling manufacturer’s insert grades and tool holders.
- Commitment to high quality standards and continuous improvements.
- Organized, ability to multi-task, and self-starter.
- Experience using Wire EDM
Education, Work Experience, and Professional Certifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Technical or trade school training is highly preferred.
- 7-10 years’ experience utilizing CNC programming skills and all aspects of close tolerance machining.
- Experience in advanced 5 axis programming with NX CAM software
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and engage in repetitive pushing/pulling actions.
- Ability to safely lift and carry up to 75 pounds.
- Must be willing to wear required safety protection gear.
- Requires constant visual awareness due to moving parts in machine shop.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed.
The above description is intended to show in general terms, the responsibilities for which the position exists and the type, level and work which must be satisfactorily performed in order to be successful in the position. However, this description is not intended to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements nor an all-inclusive list of skills and abilities required to do the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the duties, responsibilities and activities or to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions at any time with or without notice. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will relationship between the Company and its employees.